Monday, April 1, 2019

The Nash trap



The first 2 weeks of playing semi-full time are done, and here are the somewhat underwhelming results:





After talking to a good friend an an excellent SNG player I found out I had a real case of Nash-fever. Inputing hands into ICMIzer and just clicking the very temting "Create Nash Equilibrium"-button. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tool and very good to get a baseline of what is a reasonable or even good strategy vs a compitent opponent, but can lead to some pretty big mistakes when it comes to playing against humans. I knew all this getting back into SNGs, but still fell into that trap.

In our conversation I realized I had a fear of getting exploited. This lead me to almost always taking the agressive action in game, i.e. shove/call. I basilcy found myself asking in our call (but not using those words) for promission to fold a bunch of nash calls generally, and vs unknowns/recreationals specifically. He said "yes", and since then I feel way better in game. There is more of a relaxed flow when I play, the flow of just playing my game and not worrying about getting exploited.

I also did a decent amount of studying, putting in 1-2 hours every with watching what people are doing (going through PT4 and seeing showdowns) as well as spending time with ICMizer.

The goals for April:

[] Play at least 1000 $15 games
[] Find a good setup and get comfortable 8-9 tabling (6 currenlty)
[] Find a study partner

Hope you have a nice week, whoever you are!

PS: Saw a guy make a -9% price pool call yesterday. That means that the call, on average, loses him $7.68. Might not sound like a lot of money, but considering the buy-in is $15 that a -51% ROI call.

No comments:

Post a Comment